Friday, May 16, 2008

Dutch State prosecutes cartoonist

Dutch Cartoonist Gregorius Nekschot makes cartoons that ridicule Islam and political correctness.

Gregorius Nekschot is a pseudonym.

Three years ago civil servant Enver Varisli of the Mercator (in Amsterdam-West) Discrimination Desk (MDI) reported six of Nekschot's cartoons as going against the anti-discrimination laws.

Yesterday his house was invaded by ten police men. They arrested Gregorius Nekschot, confiscated his computer, phone, back-up drive and a usb-stick. Mr. Nekschot was then taken to a high-security prison (Bijlmer bajes) and was released today.

Ominiously the police told Nekschot that his cartoon's were worse than Denmark's and that he would be in trouble for ridiculing Islam and its prophet.

Neksschot replied: "you are loading a very heavy responsibility on your shoulders".

In a interview with Amsterdam newspaper "Parool" Mr. Nekschot added:
that he never tried to flee from the law. My web site contains a direct link to the MDI (anti-discrimination desk). But I have always been very carefull with my identity. I do not use that pseudonym for nothing. What I create is no trifling matter and I know what may be its consequences. Which is why I am very afraid of a conviction. Suppose I go to jail. As the maker of those cartoons I have to fear for my life.

No comments: