Friday, November 11, 2005

Rememberance day

Today the nations of the British Commonwealth have Rememberance day. A day in the memory of the soldiers and officers of the members of the Commonwealth such as the UK, Australia and Canada to remember those who fell in the service of their country.

The Netherlands was liberated by the troops of the British 8th Army, specifically by troops of the First and Second Canadian Corps. They fought their way from the Normandy beaches, where the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division landed on Juno beach on June the 6th 1944, along the North Sea coast to The Netherlands and then on from the Southern Netherlands into Germany.

My grandmother tells me that when she heard the news she was driving a bike near a village looking to find food, because there was famine. People came running out of some houses because they heard about the capitulation of the German Commander in the Netherlands, General Blaskowitz, on an illegal radio. "They have capitulated. We are free" was the shout. She fell of her bike. The feeling she had then and there was the strongest feeling she had ever had in her life. She was 2 months pregnant of my mother at that time.

Hail to our liberators. Remember the fallen.

3 comments:

The Immigrant said...

Hi Snouck, I'm looking for someone who could give me more info on investor immigration to canada and I came accross your post about this post. Although it wasn't exactly what I was looking for, it definitely gave me a new perspective. Right now anything that looks like investor immigration to canada would be of interest to me since I'm thinking of starting a new life in Canada and want to be as informed as possible about my options.

If you know of any other blogs or websites that I could check out to get some more info on investor immigration to canada, I'd be very grateful. I really enjoyed your blog - thanks for the great read.

Behjat said...

Trade Show Tips and Open Studio Sales
Jewelry designer Amy Peters is known for her clever silver charms with sayings such as: 'Follow Your Heart' and 'Dreams Come True.' But she also has a weblog where she makes announcements about her company and ...
Find out how to buy and sell anything, like things related to company construction mn road on interest free credit and pay back whenever you want! Exchange FREE ads on any topic, like company construction mn road!

Blogging Blogging Queen said...

Hi there! I was just surfin blogs via the nav bar up top
and found yours (like and adventure). You write better
than many of the blogs I just went by, so have you
ever thought about trying to make a little money
blogging? Not tons, but I mean, just enough to
pay for some other things like webhosting or a car
payment, etc? Well, please do NOT confuse this with
the cr*ppy comment spam I see all over the place, but
I spotted a very cool free book on how to make money
blogging blogging and blogging some more..!

Hey, if you're gonna do it, you might as well get a LITTLE somethin' for it...!

Take care, and keep up the great writing,
Tiffany Burrell
How to Make Money Blogging Blogging
ps. No, that's NOT my real picture, lol!